Indian Rummy, pronounced as /ˈrəmē/, is played between 2 to 5 players with 13 cards in India. There are several variations of the Rummy game, among which the 13 card variation is the most popular among Indian people. The aim is to form the groups of sequences and trials/sets to meet the game requirements. When a player forms required Sequences and Sets using the cards in hand, the player can declare a game.
A Joker card
A Joker card is a wild card that can be used to complete a Set or Sequence. A joker card only works when there is a Pure Sequence.
Sequences and Sets
In the Rummy game, there are three major requirements: Pure Sequence, Impure Sequence, and a Set. A Pure Sequence is a combination of three or more cards of the same suit. Pure Sequence does not require any Joker. An Impure Sequence is a sequence that is formed using a Joker card. A Set is a group of the same value cards of a different suit. It can be formed with or without the Joker card.
Basic Rules of Indian Rummy
- There should be two Sequence, one Pure Sequence, and one Pure or Impure Sequence.
- Sets can only be formed with the same value cards of a different suit. E.g., three 7s of different suit or four 7s of a different suit, both are valid.
- Adding a joker to an incomplete sequence will make one impure Sequence. E.g., J is a joker, and you add it to 8 and 9 of the same suit, then it becomes an impure sequence.
- Jokers can also be used to make a set. E.g., adding a joker to 7, 7 of the different suit will make a valid set.
How to play the Indian Rummy Game
In the beginning, 13 cards are distributed to two or more players. The main objective of the game is to create a pure sequence of cards (example: J, Q, K) of the same suit or set (example: A, A, A) same value cards. Players take turns to take cards from the faced down draw pile or the opponents’ thrown card. In Indian Rummy, a player must have a Pure Sequence (First Life), Pure or Impure Sequence (Second Life) as a set of four cards to show or declare a game. There are Joker cards in the game that can be used to form an Impure Sequence.
After a player declares the game, the sum of the card numbers is counted. If a player is unable to make pure Sequence (First Life), then all of his cards will be counted. If a player is able to make pure Sequence (First Life), then the rest of the invalid sets of cards will be counted. Players are ranked according to the total sum of the card numbers.
Tips and Tricks for Indian Rummy
- Place the cards together that are likely to form a Pure Sequence. E.g., if you have 6, 8, 9 of the same suit, place them together so that when you get a 7, or a 10 of the same suit, you can form a Pure Sequence.
- If you already have a Pure Sequence, then try to keep the cards that are likely to form a Set.
- Place the Joker card with the high-value cards when someone else declares the game so that your points will be less. But this only works when you have a Pure Sequence.
History of the Rummy Game
Rummy is a traditional and fun game of cards played all over the world but known by different names. We are not sure where this game was originated, but it is said to be modified form the popular game named “Conquian” which is popular in Spain.
Some say that this game comes from Chinese games “Khanhoo” and “Kon Khin.” In the nineteenth century, Rummy started to become popular in American nations. Some people believed that the name “Rummy” came from alcohol named “rum.” Though we cannot be very sure about the origin, evolution, and history, this game is highly entertaining.
Features of this Indian Rummy Game
- There are multiple themes for cards and the background of the game.
- Players can adjust the speed of the game from slow to fast.
- Players can restart the game easily.
- Players can see their wins and loses count.
- Players can choose the number of players.
Where to find the Indian Rummy Game?
It is available on Play Store for Android users to download and play instantly. You can play this game without any internet connection or data charges. This game runs smoothly on both phones or tablets. If you have an iPhone or iPad only, you’ll have to wait for a while to play this game.