Rummy is one of the most entertaining card game popular in India and other South Asian countries. It is played between two to five players with ten cards in Nepal and thirteen cards in India. The main objective of the Rummy game is to create a pure Sequence and Set. When a player forms required Sequences and Sets using the cards in hand, the player can declare a game.
What is a Joker card?
A Joker card is a wild card that can be used to complete a Set or Sequence. A joker card only works when there is a Pure Sequence.
Sequences and Sets
In the Rummy game, there are three major requirements: Pure Sequence, Impure Sequence, and a Set. A Pure Sequence is a combination of three or more cards of the same suit. Pure Sequence does not require any Joker. An Impure Sequence is a sequence that is formed using a Joker card. A Set is a group of the same value cards of a different suit. It can be formed with or without the Joker card.
Basic Rules of the Rummy Game
- There should be a pure Sequence to make the use of Jokers.
- Sets can only be formed with the same value cards of a different suit. E.g., three 7 of different suit or four 7 of a different suit, both are valid.
- Adding a Joker to an incomplete Sequence will make one impure Sequence. E.g., J is a Joker, and you add it to 8 and 9 of the same suit, then it becomes an impure Sequence.
- Jokers can also be used to make a set. E.g., adding a joker to 7, 7 of the different suit will make a valid set.
In this Rummy game, There are two types of Rummy
13 Cards Rummy
In 13 cards game rummy, 13 cards are distributed to two to five players each. The undealt cards are kept face-down in the center of the table as the draw pile. A random card is selected from the deck of cards as a wild Joker card. In this type of Rummy, a player must have a pure sequence (First Life), Pure or Impure Sequence (Second Life), and a Set consists of three or four cards of the same value of different suits to show or declare a game. After the game is declared, all the points (card numbers) are calculated. If a player is unable to make pure Sequence (First Life), then all of his cards will be counted. If a player is able to make pure Sequence (First Life), then the rest of the invalid sets of cards will be counted. In 13 cards Rummy, the maximum point is 80. The player who declares the game is usually the winner.
10 Cards Rummy
10 Cards Rummy is generally played in Nepal and few south Asian regions. In 10 cards Rummy, ten cards are distributed to two to four players each. Just like 13 cards Rummy, the undealt cards are kept face-down in the center of the table as the draw pile, and a random card is selected from the deck of cards as a wild Joker card. A player must have one Pure Sequence, a set of four cards, and a set of three cards to show a game. In the end, the points are counted, just like 13 cards Rummy. In 10 cards Rummy, if a player is unable to make a pure sequence then, all of his/her cards value will be counted as per their card value, and the Joker card is counted 14 points. The player with the lowest point will be the winner.
Differences of 13 Card and 10 Cards Rummy
- The major difference between 13 cards Rummy and 10 cards Rummy is, 10 cards rummy is played in rounds, players will continue playing until one of the player’s points exceeds 100 points. The player with an overall lowest point will be declared as the winner.
- Thirteen cards are distributed in 13 cards Rummy, whereas ten cards are distributed in 10 cards Rummy.
- In 10 cards rummy, you need to form one pure Sequence, but in 13 cards Rummy, you are required to form at least one pure Sequence and an additional sequence.
- The winner is declared according to the points in 10 cards Rummy whereas, whoever declares the game is the winner in 13 cards Rummy.
Tips and Tricks For Rummy Game
- Place the cards together that are likely to form a Pure Sequence. E.g., if you have 6, 8, 9 of the same suit, place them together so that when you get a 7, or a 10 of the same suit, you can form a Pure Sequence.
- If you already have a Pure Sequence, then try to keep the cards that are likely to form a Set.
- If you don’t have a Pure Sequence in 10 cards Rummy, discard the high-value cards and try to keep your points less.
- Place the Joker card with the high-value cards when someone else declares the game so that your points will be less. But this only works when you have a Pure Sequence.
History of Rummy
Rummy is a traditional and fun game of cards played all over the world but known by different names. We are not sure where this game was originated, but it is said to be modified form the popular game named “Conquian” which is popular in Spain. Some say that this game comes from Chinese games ‘Khanhoo’ and ‘Kon Khin.’ In the nineteenth century, Rummy started to become popular in American nations. The name “Rummy” is believed to come by British people. Some also believed it came from then alcohol named “rum.” Though we cannot be very sure about the origin, evolution, and history, this game is a highly entertaining game.
Where to find the Rummy Game?
We tried to bring the best game environment in this Rummy game. It is available on Play Store for Android users to download and play instantly. You can play this game without any internet connection or data charges.